- She got the nickname of "Captain Sally."
- Sally was the only woman to have a commission in the Civil War.
- When she was born, her family was very wealthy, but by the time the war was over and she had closed the hospital, all the money had vanished.
- She had a full military funeral because of her service.
- Nurses had to care and be like parents to the wounded soldiers.
- She had a brother that was also in the war. She wrote a letter to him and hoped that he could be be the best soldier that he could be.