During the Civil War, Sally opened a hospital for the wounded Confederate soldiers. It opened up officially on July 31, 1861. The hospital was donated by Judge John Robertson and was named after him. This helped around 1,300 soldiers and out of all the soldiers, only 73 were recorded that died. From all of the supplies and equipment that she had to buy, her families money vanished. Sally kept this going until June 1865, when President Jefferson Davis shut down all private hospitals. Sally saved many of the soldiers lives throughout the war.